Current:Home > Invest2 suspects in Kansas City parade shooting charged with murder, prosecutors announce -Aspire Money Growth
2 suspects in Kansas City parade shooting charged with murder, prosecutors announce
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 00:30:24
Two men have been charged with murder in the deadly shooting at last week's Kansas City Chiefs parade, prosecutors announced Tuesday. The prosecution of the two men comes after two juvenile suspects were separately charged last week in connection with the shooting that killed a woman and wounded 22 other people near Union Station shortly after the rally celebrating the Chiefs' Super Bowl victory.
Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker told reporters that one of the suspects, Lyndell Mays, had an argument with another person at the rally and the argument escalated and Mays allegedly drew a handgun.
Others pulled out their guns, including the other suspect charged, Dominic Miller, Baker said. The prosecutor said evidence indicated Miller's gun was the one that allegedly killed the fatal victim, identified as Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a 43-year-old mother of two and a local radio DJ.
Miller was seen in surveillance video watching the argument from several feet away, according to court documents. He then pulled out a gun, chased after one of the people in the argument and appeared to start shooting, police said in a probable cause statement.
Lopez-Galvan was in a crowd of people in the direction where Miller was allegedly firing, according to the statement. Miller was shot in the chaos, and he appeared to trip over a cone while he was shooting and then fled the scene, according to the statement.
Miller told investigators at a hospital that a man was shooting at him and he returned fire, according to the statement. He estimated that he fired four or five shots from his 9 mm handgun but he wasn't certain if he hit the man he was firing at, according to the statement.
According to another probable cause statement, a witness told police a group of four males approached Mays and one of them asked him what he was looking at. In surveillance video, Mays started to approach the group "in an aggressive manner" and pointed at them before pulling out his gun, according to the statement.
"You can obviously see that there is, you know, some kind of verbal argument occurring and it just turns deadly," Baker said during Tuesday's news conference.
While Mays was chasing a member of the group and pointing the gun at him, the other people in the group pulled out their guns and appeared to start shooting at him, according to the statement. Mays also allegedly appeared to be shooting at the person he was chasing, according to the statement.
Mays, who was also shot in the chaos, allegedly told police he drew his gun because someone in the group said, "I'm going to get you," according to the statement.
Both Mays and Miller have been charged with second-degree murder and lesser offenses, and are being held on a $1 million bond. Mays was charged Saturday morning and the charges were sealed because the investigation was "so active and ongoing," Baker said.
The charges against Mays were unsealed Tuesday afternoon, and Miller was charged Monday night, Baker said. The investigation into the shooting remained ongoing, the prosecutor said.
"We seek to hold every shooter accountable for their actions on that day — every single one," Baker said. "So while we're not there yet on every single individual, we're going to get there."
Last week, authorities charged two juvenile suspects with gun-related and resisting-arrest offenses in the shooting. Their cases are being handled by a different office, Baker said.
Defendants aged 17 and under in Missouri are typically adjudicated through the juvenile system, which is far more private than the system for adults, according to The Associated Press. Names of the accused are not released, nor are police documents such as probable cause statements.
Lopez-Galvan's family expressed gratitude for the suspects being charged.
"Though it does not bring back our beloved Lisa, it is comforting to know that the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office and the KCPD made it a top priority to seek justice for Lisa, the other shooting victims, those who had to witness this tragedy unfold and the Kansas City community," the family said in a statement.
- In:
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Shooting
- Kansas City
Alex Sundby is a senior editor at CBSNews.com. In addition to editing content, Alex also covers breaking news, writing about crime and severe weather as well as everything from multistate lottery jackpots to the July Fourth hot dog eating contest.
TwitterveryGood! (2)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- North West opens up about upcoming debut album: Everything you need to know
- Russia's Vladimir Putin hails election victory, but critics make presence known despite harsh suppression
- Oprah Winfrey Shares Why Her Use of Weight Loss Drugs Provided “Hope”
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Konstantin Koltsov, Former NHL Player and Boyfriend of Tennis Star Aryna Sabalenka, Dead at 42
- Clemson University sues the ACC over its grant of media rights, exit fees
- Armed thieves steal cash from guards collecting video machine cash boxes in broad daylight heist
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Why This Photo of Paul Mescal and Ayo Edebiri Has the Internet Buzzing
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- New York moves to update its fracking ban to include liquid carbon-dioxide as well as water
- Russian woman kidnapped near U.S. border in Mexico is freed, officials say
- Feds propose air tour management plan for Lake Mead National Recreation Area in Nevada and Arizona
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Buddhists use karmic healing against one US city’s anti-Asian legacy and nationwide prejudice today
- BP oil refinery in Indiana resumes normal operations weeks after power outage, temporary shutdown
- Watch Orlando Bloom Push Himself to the Limit in Thrilling To The Edge Trailer
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Don't Miss Out on These Early Fashion Deals From Amazon's Big Spring Sale That Include Up to 66% Off
US men will shoot for 5th straight gold as 2024 Paris Olympics basketball draw announced
Key questions as Trump hurtles toward deadline to pay $454 million fraud penalty
US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
Turmoil in Haiti hasn't yet led to spike in migrants trying to reach U.S. shores, officials say
US farms are increasingly reliant on contract workers who are acutely exposed to climate extremes
Konstantin Koltsov, Former NHL Player and Boyfriend of Tennis Star Aryna Sabalenka, Dead at 42